Jan 21: disaster strikes?!?!?!

WHAT HAPPENED TODAY

Earlier this morning, I tried to log and transfer the footage onto my laptop so I could begin the post production editing process, only to be faced with an error message that shook my bleary morning vision, reading
The file type (AVCHD to 1080/720p x) could not be read. 
In class, I immediately went to Mr. Chiang to ask about this problem. I also explained that the "1080" video option was something that had happened during shooting quite early on, and only 73 clips (that had the camera options set as AVCHD) had transferred successfully. As it turns out, during the shoot we had accidentally pressed a button on the camera activating the 1080 option which changes the format from AVCHD, which is Apple ProRes 42 friendly. Because of this, not only did three quarters of our footage have to be converted (which took all of today because we had over 70 GB of footage, and I will be checking in with Mr. Chiang ASAP with my hard drive to collect it) but some of the clips could have their sound distorted and corrupt.

This aside, the group decided to keep our collective chin up and Hannah investigated sound, finding appropriate music and using the script to find sound effects filling in where we didn't (or couldn't) provide. At the same time, I began sifting through what I had already of the clips, and created a table where I could record what was passable, what could only have its video or only its sound used, what wasn't usable at all, etc. and began an assembly edit with what I had.

IB LEARNER PROFILE

Today I definitely had to be an inquirer in order to get the correct information about what happened with our footage, and communicative with Hannah as our roles (editor and sound) are very important in the post production process. This holds true even if a lot of our footage is gone, and we had to think on our feet to come up with the solution of using the script for SFX hunting. 

No comments :

Post a Comment